Last month, the racing community celebrated the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500, which took place at the world famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway! As part of the preparations and promotions for the big event, #TEAMEMAR executed a very filled media day for South Florida. It was fun and exhausting but most important, it delivered the results (aka media awareness and coverage!) the client was looking for. Below are some important lessons after hosting many successful media tours…
- Know your audience. Make sure your spokesperson, celebrity or other talent appeals to the media outlets you’re targeting. For example, our Indy500 tour in Miami was designed to appeal to motorsports’ growing Latino fan base. So we targeted Hispanic sports and entertainment media and leveraged Spanish speaking drivers, which we knew would immediately attract the interest of our desired audience.
- Create engaging story ideas to present to the media. For La Liga (new client!) and its teams playing friendlies in the states this past week, one of the story ideas we supported was their tour of Google’s San Francisco headquarters. Connecting sports and technology – two strong passion points for the fan base – guarantees interest.
3. Use your venue to help tell the story. If you have a great venue, use it! During the Miami Open we invited media and celebrities to join us for behind the scenes tours and an exclusive look at the game. This allowed us to create excitement around the event and organically generated traditional and social media coverage.
- Make the media’s job easier by providing support materials. Provide background information on your brand, such as biographies and market information. Offer both printed and digital assets, including quotes and b-roll video.
- Extend exposure via social media. Once you get stories published, share them across channels and ask spokespersons, sponsors, partners and others to help spread the word. Include an appropriate hashtag and tag the relevant parties. And don’t forget to tweet out a “thank you” to the writers who gave you the coverage. They’ll appreciate your helping them raise their profile on the media landscape, too!
Estefania Acosta-Rubio is a public and media relations powerhouse specialized in Hispanic sports and entertainment marketing. With a proven track record of creating and executing highly impactful marketing initiatives, Estefania is an industry leader in harnessing the power of emerging media as well as traditional print and broadcast coverage. A Venezuelan native and first generation U.S. Hispanic, Acosta-Rubio’s core values and cultural pride are only matched by her love of sports. Driven by these passions, she founded a company that would be characterized by its ability to connect the two. With #TEAMEMAR she has curated a roster of highly talented collaborators to bring real value to brands in need of comprehensive management and communications services.
Leave a Comment